Friday, June 17, 2011

Baby It's You!

I must admit, I have been getting a bit spoiled with my incredible student rush seats, so when I got rear mezzanine for Baby It's You! I must say I was a bit disappointed. Then again, you get what you pay for- most of the time anyway.

Synopsis: This is the story of Florence Greenberg, a Jewish women from New Jersey yearning to work in the music business. She finally gets out of her house after discovering and managing the Shirelles and founding two record labels. The show is interestingly not so much about her managing this incredibly girl group but more about Florence herself and her development as a character along the way.

Obviously, there is a lot to this woman's life and it is hard to cover all of it efficiently and tastefully, and I must say that this show did that sufficiently well. Still, I personally found the changing relationship with her kids the most interesting, so once I left the theatre when the show was over, I sort of had this feeling of "What ever happened with that?"

Now the two extremely tall people sitting in front of me making out for the majority of the show (until an usher told them to stop) may have had something to do with the fact that I wasn't entirely engrossed, I sort of felt like there was a bit too much going on at once. There seemed to be so many little tangents occurring around the central premise of Florence and her love interest. Then again, maybe that's how the life of Florence Greenberg really played out. Who am I to say?

Still, it may have just been that exceedingly aggravating couple sitting in front of me that ruined my attention span.

On top of that, this show is described as a "Boomer's delight", unfortunately, that does not include me. I could definitely see how a person from the baby boomer's generation would have enjoyed the show more.

And now the cast:

Beth Leavel. Amazing. She portrayed the whole "Oy-Vey", Jewish housewife thing perfectly - trust me, I would know. She had a wonderful voice and an extremely gripping stage presence. No wonder she was nominated for a Tony this year!

Everyone on Broadway is incredibly talented and these performers were no exception. The whole cast was full of amazing singers, wonderful actors and incredible dancers.

It was truly a fun show but nothing was as amazing as the fact that it is a true story!

No comments:

Post a Comment