Monday, June 13, 2011

The Tonys


Needless to say, the Tonys were on last night. Sadly, I have no television, I have been roaming the internet to find some video of the entire thing (still no luck, if you find one let me know!). Because of this, I cannot really comment on how they were. All I know is that in the opening number Neil Patrick Harris was incredible. From what I saw I think it's safe to say he was nowhere close to the train-wreck James Franco and Anne Hathaway were at the Oscars, then again, this is Broadway.



Because I am so lucky to actually live in New York City, I actually took a trip down to the beautiful Beacon Theatre to check out the most glamorous night in the theatre world. It was surreal. Honestly, New York city is a hell of a crazy place but surely it's not everyday you go walking down 74th Street and Broadway to see people strutting about in ball gowns. I just sort of lurked watching Broadway royalty strolling about. Okay, so maybe I didn't see anyone I recognized but all the same, I'm sure many of the people I saw contribute somehow to the theatre, making them royalty.

Honestly, it's my dream to just get all glammed up in a beautiful gown, a sophisticated pair of pumps, get my hair done and wear an extraordinary amount of make-up, to go into a beautiful theatre and be surrounded by people who work hard to make an idea on a page a reality that we all then get to be a part of.

While creeping outside of the Beacon, I merely stared longingly at all the people who looked not much older than me jumping up and down in excitement walking to the "special" side of the street, closed off to pedestrians. I think this dream of mine is a tad too far fetched due to my utter lack of any performing talent as well as knowledge of the many other components of theatre, but hey, one can wish right?

I must say it was really weird. I mean, I watch and anticipate the Oscars religiously, the big movie buff I am, and it just seems like another world. It's strange to think the Tonys are roughly the same thing just another community of the art world and it's happening down my street! (Over exaggeration. I don't live that close.) It's funny in a way. I longed to see all those stars and converse with them about all the good they do and how incredible they are, but I can just hop on the train and tell them whenever I want!

Enough of my desire to be one the lucky people attending the Tonys, and on to the winners themselves.

The Book of Mormon. 9 Tonys, virtually everything it was nominated for. Okay, so I have yet to see this supposedly incredible show, and sorry to say, it will most definitely be a long time until I do so due to it's now new hype- also it has no form of general or student rush no matter how much I wish it did.  Still, money does not grow on trees- and neither do tickets, I hear it's sold out for months! The one thing I have been able to do however, is listen to the songs and watch the videos. I, however, have been doing this sparingly, I really don't want to know too much about the show. I know enough to understand that it is a show that makes fun of religion, and I must say, being the somewhat rebellious teen that I am, there is hardly anything I find funnier. Please god, let me win the lottery to the Book of Mormon.



Norbert Leo Butz. Yes, I am aware that I may have mentioned my outrage that Aaron Tveit was robbed again of a nomination, but Norbert, you were truly amazing and definitely deserved this win. His role is quite complex and not to mention "Don't Break the Rules". I think this video says enough. And yes, I am devastated that Aaron only got 30 seconds of stage time. Really Tony people?! You can't even let him perform?



Anything Goes. This is another show that I have yet to see. Also, yet another one that is almost impossible to get cheap tickets to. I got to the theatre at 11am on a day that had both a matinee and a night show and they were all out of rush seats. This show has a Tony winner as the star as well. Congratulations Sutton Foster!



John Larroquette. I must say he is absolutely delightful and incredibly funny in How to Succeed. Honestly, winning a Tony for your Broadway debut? That's impressive.

John Larroquette (right) as J. B. Biggley in
How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying

The rest of the shows I still have to see and know far too little about to comment on. All of them are now on my wish list and I hope to see them and post on them as soon as I can!

No comments:

Post a Comment