Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Rock of Ages

Storyline: So basically, a young man from Detroit who wants to be a rockstar and a girl from a small town who wants to be an actress and are in Hollywood trying to achieve their dreams. Surprisingly, they fall in love and there's conflict. At the same time, an evil German developer and his son, Franz, try to reconstruct the sunset strip and they are trying to demolish the Bourbon Room, where our story for the most part takes place.


What can I say? It's a true example of how important each and every component of a musical is. For instance, the cast was amazing, the set was hilarious, the music was great, but the story was incredibly cliche, and it's the story that is the basis for the rest of the production. Okay so maybe there were a few funny moments, but they were the type of funny moments that you see in those ridiculous movies that are funny for a second and then they just seem absurd. The essence of a great comedy is that of an over-exaggeration of a truly serious subject. In this show, the serious subject, had little impact on what seemed like the main story, or the love story, which consisted of two people trying to achieve their dreams and then, SPOILER ALERT, they find out that what they really want is love and, unexpectedly, everything works out for the best! Alright, so even the narrator recognizes the fact that it was incredibly cliche. He even says, "Betcha didn't see that coming!", one of the few really funny moments of the show. Still there was more about the show that didn't quite appeal to me.

If it wasn't the uninteresting story line that didn't intrigue me, it was the far too many "Huh?!" moments. From the very beginning of the show, I just kept thinking "What the what?" It all began with the very first scene when one of the guitarists came to the very front of the stage and just stood there playing in slow motion while smiling and making eye contact with the audience for what seemed like an endless amount of time. I must say, for a show that seems to be aimed at middle-aged, single women, this show had far too many stripper dances. Then, there was the "coming out" of two characters who had shown such an obvious attraction to women throughout the entire show. That was just plain random.

Still, nothing beats the outrageousness of the final number "Don't Stop Believing". It started out cheesy, but sweet all the same but as the song went on, it just got stranger and stranger. Out of nowhere, the lead girl comes out and she's pregnant! Alright, so even if there was no mention of wanting kids or anything having to do with pregnancy in the entire show, I guess it sort of make sense. I can however, tell you what doesn't. When completely out of the blue, she's holding a plastic baby in the air and a "Lion King" sort of sequence occurs. Keep in mind, "Don't Stop Believing" is not a very long song so all of this sort of happened rapidly, while simultaneously, one of the guys who died in the show is walking around the audience in this unbelievable golden angel suit while another just in underwear! Throughout this entire number, I was legitimately just thinking, "I do not comprehend what is going on."

I do have to admit though, there was one part of the show that I truly enjoyed. Franz. A German boy with a dream of having a candy store (trust me, this actually does fit into the storyline). This one number "Hit Me With Your Best Shot" is pure brilliance. Out of nowhere (as usual) Franz rips off all his clothes to reveal a blue sparkling unitard and sings with a German accent. Honestly, it was hilarious. Cody Scott Lancaster, great job. His performance was by far the most entertaining. Don't get me wrong, the rest of the cast was wonderful, the music was obviously fantastic, the only problem was the story.
My friend Vera and me with Cody Scott Lancaster at the stage door
Like I said, the show was aimed toward single, middle-aged women, something that I am proud to say I am not. At the stage door this one lady walked up to the guitarist whilst referring to him as her new "Rockstar boyfriend" and just said, "You are so hot." I'm a teenage girl and I wouldn't even do that. What does that tell you? I guess it's sweet that these women got another chance at their childhood, they probably appreciated the show more than I did. And maybe one day I'll think back to that show and appreciate it way more, but until then all I can say is, "What?!"


Something funny:
Inside the Helen Hayes theatre
I don't know why I found this so hilarious, but inside the theatre they had bras hanging everywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment