Sunday, May 15, 2011

How to Succeed...

Last night I finally saw How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying after going to the theater twice and not being able to get tickets. It was really a wonderful show. Daniel Radcliffe is really an amazing singer and dancer, his last number "Brotherhood of Man" blew me away. John Larroquette is possibly one of the funniest men I've seen on Broadway and Tammy Blanchard and Christopher J. Hanke nearly made the show.


Truly an amazing night, that is until I encountered the stage door chaos.

Outside the stage door there were people waiting for Daniel Radcliffe since before the show ended so by the time I got out there, 5 minutes after curtain call, it was already extremely crowded. Then, only a few people stuck around to sign playbills, and I must say, Christopher J. Hanke was so sweet considering most people made it obvious that they had no interest in seeing anyone but Daniel. Finally, the moment everyone was waiting for happened. Daniel came outside. Everyone was screaming (with good reason, I mean he is Daniel Radcliffe), pushing people, rushing forward. When he finally got close to where I was, I handed him three playbills (I was the only one of my friends who managed to get close enough) and he only signed one. Everyone around was congratulating him and telling him how wonderful he was and no one got any recognition. No "Thanks", smile or even eye contact!
Daniel Radcliffe at the stage door
As I'm sure you can tell form my previous post, one of my favorite parts of the theater is the stage door. When the performers come out and seem resentful or don't even bother, it really gets me down. I mean, we pay good money to see them and all we want to do is tell them how much we enjoyed the show. Okay, so I'm sure they're tired, and he is Daniel Radcliffe, he's probably sick of the screaming fans, but that's what comes with being famous. It's the fans that are the reason he makes all his money, we're the ones that see shows and vote for him for Broadway.com audience awards. The least he could do is give a little something back.

Don't get me wrong, I love Daniel Radcliffe, he's an amazing actor, screen and stage (I saw him in Equus, phenomenal), maybe he just had a hard day.

All in all, it was a lovely show, definitely a must see and Daniel really was amazing.

1 comment:

  1. That is soo cool! And i know what you mean about meeting the actors- i love seeing how they are real people and not just the characters played in the show. Thats a disappointment that he barely looked at you but its still cool that you saw him!

    ReplyDelete