Thursday, May 19, 2011

Something next to normal


This was the show that really got me into theatre. I absolutely loved it. In mid November this year a few people told me to see it so finally I reluctantly agreed, not knowing what it was about or anything. There wasn't a single thing wrong with it. Every single component of the show, every song, every lyric, enhanced the story. Since that night, I have legitimately listened to the soundtrack every single day.
Outside the Booth Theatre
"It is more than a feel-good musical: it is a feel everything musical"
Honestly, who would've ever thought someone could right a musical about a manic depressive, delusional mother and the toll it takes on her family. Within the first few scenes you are reeled into the chaos of the family and learn that though they may seem "average" or "normal" (whatever that means) on the outside, their life is really far from it.
Basically a visual depiction of the story
The show is nearly entirely sung through, which makes it all the more interesting to watch, and the cast was phenomenal. I saw it with Marin Mazzie as Diana (the bipolar mom), Jason Danieley as Dan (the struggling dad), Kyle Dean Massey as Gabe (the dead son), Meghann Fahy as Natalie (the resentful daughter), Adam Chanler-Berat as Henry (Natalie's pothead boyfriend) and Louis Hobson as Mr. Fine/Madden (Diana's doctor). Marin Mazzie's gut-renching cry during multiple songs was a tear-jerker even to someone who can't relate at all. Kyle Dean Massey's energy every time he began singing was riveting, not to mention all the steps he had to climb. Adam Chanler-Berat and Meghann Fahy had such wonderful chemistry. Louis Hobson had this really soothing and calming stage presence, just as a doctor probably should. Jason Danieley and Marin Mazzie were obviously wonderful together (they're married). All of them were so wonderful, amazing actors and singers, and it makes me so sad that the shows off Broadway.

Original Cast, left to right top: Aaron Tveit, 2nd Level: Alice Ripley and Louis Hobson, Bottom: J. Robert Spencer, Jennifer Damiano and Adam Chanler-Berat
Isn't the set amazing?
I was however extremely lucky. After I had reached the heights of my obsession with this show I found out that it was closing soon to go on tour and I immediately bought tickets to the last performance. But, the place I bought them from went out of business and only notified us a week before so it was all ready sold out. I then bought tickets to the second to last show, a matinee right before the final performance, and it was wonderful. Still, I was not able to bear leaving the theater and not seeing the again. So, in the freezing cold in late January I stood outside for two hours on the cancellation line in hopes of getting in. Fifteen minutes before the show the yelled they had two tickets left, I bought them and ran right in.

OK, so maybe I wasn't able to feel my toes until the following morning but the energy of the final Broadway performance was incredible, 100X that of the previous show. In some of the most emotional song, the cast couldn't even finish because of crying so hard (specifically Adam Chanler-Berat in Hey#3/Perfect For You).

After seeing two shows in one day I though I'd be content, but while looking at all the tour dates and locations I realized that I could go see it in Connecticut, only 2 hours outside of NYC. So my friend and I went on a road trip to see it one last time, cried at the end of the show because we knew it was really over, and now I'm left with the CD, a CD that brings me to tears every morning on the bus.

Honestly, If you haven't seen this show yet and it's coming to a theater by you, I strongly advise you go see it, it was truly an amazing, wonderful and unique show, something you shouldn't miss. It'll be worth the trip!

3 comments:

  1. I loved Next To Normal and basically discovered it in it's first few weeks on broadway. I was one of the first to see it of my theater friends and like you, listen to the music most days.
    However, my mom hated it. Her reason was the same reason she hated Rent (which i also love and also makes a debut on my morning play list)- what does it say about a society that writes a play- sorry a rock musical- about manic depression?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great blog! Thumbs up gurll:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pecster, I'm so jealous! I wish I had seen it back when it had opened! And I'm so excited Rent is back in NY this summer, I've wanted to see it for so long but never had the chance...

    Also, in response to your mom's question, I personally think it says that we have the ability to learn about and cope with various problems in our society including using the arts to do so, as opposed to being in denial about them.

    ReplyDelete