Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Equus. The experience of a lifetime.

As promised, here is my recollection of my experience at Equus. It was a mere three years ago that my mother had taken me to see this show. She of course had the knowledge that Daniel Radcliffe was fully nude for parts of the play but really had little idea of what the context of said nude scene was and how it would scar a seventh grader.

The play was incredible, even to someone who lacked the intellectual capacity to truly understand what was going on. At first it was a sort of an "OMG It's Harry Potter!" feeling, but after a few scenes, I was brought into the despair and disturbance of Allan Strang's mind. For those of you who don't really know what it's about, just to clarify, it is not Dan Radcliffe just screwing a horse. It's the story of a boy who blinded six horses and his series of sessions with his psychologist to try to understand what brought about his rash actions.

Side Note: the psychologist was played by Richard Griffiths (Uncle Vernon anyone?)

Sadly, in the performance I saw, the psychologist was played by Bill Buell. Don't get me wrong, Bill Buell was phenomenal (to the best of my memory, I was really young back then) but I was really looking forward to seeing the chemistry between Richard Griffiths and Dan Radcliffe, whom he knows well, not to mention that plays the role of the evil Uncle who despises Harry in the Harry Potter series. Obviously in this performance he takes on a much more supportive role in respect to Daniel's character.

And now, the nude scene. I obviously was anticipating this from the beginning. I, however, was not anticipating it being in the context of an extremely intimate and intense sex scene. Still, that was not the part that scarred me. It was the endless yelling of "I put it in!" by Daniel Radcliffe while sitting completely naked on top of a completely naked girl for what seemed like an hour. It was his running around on stage for another endless amount of time, still full-frontal, "stabbing" horses (aka a bunch of guys in strangely tight suits with horse heads on their heads.

My mom and I then left the theatre for a car ride that was destined to be long and awkward, and my mom simply said "Well that was intense."

And enough of all that unnecessary drama. Thinking back to that night now, it really wasn't a big deal. Those few moments really enhanced the performance and the show was incredible. I can't help but gain so much respect for Daniel Radcliffe who did this role for his Broadway debut and risked his entire reputation if the role hadn't been played so well. Incredible.

And for anyone out there who has never read this play, you really should. And so what if you don't get the whole "Dan naked" experience, the play is a good enough read on its own.

No comments:

Post a Comment